This week didn’t fairly go as deliberate. Our air conditioner stopped engaged on Monday, and we had been with out it for a couple of hours. So having to take care of that, plus be sure that Matt made it by means of a number of hours with out air-con on a day with 100+ diploma temps fully threw off my plans for the week. After which the curve ball of coping with the sudden modifications within the hallway lavatory took up much more time that I had anticipated with the ability to dedicate to the studio. However isn’t that the best way life works?
So it’s been a little bit of a busy week, however I used to be nonetheless in a position to make some progress within the studio. The progress is sluggish, but it surely’s regular, so no less than I’m on target. I haven’t needed to tear out any extra drywall or undo the rest that’s already carried out, in order that’s all the time excellent news. 😀
Earlier within the week, I confirmed y’all how I modified the IKEA Sektion cupboards to make use of on the lengthy entrance wall of the studio. I acquired all of these put in, and now they’re prepared for trim and a countertop.
Earlier than I acquired sidetracked with the A/C and hallway lavatory countertop, my plan was to work on the countertop and have the higher cupboards put collectively in time for some males in our Wednesday evening group to have the ability to raise these into place for me. However after dropping virtually a whole work day due to the A/C, I knew that purpose wasn’t going to work out, so I made a decision to maneuver on to the opposite cupboard part as a substitute. That manner, I can get the entire cupboards put in, then get the entire cupboards in each sections trimmed out, after which construct each counter tops on the identical time.
However earlier than I might set up cupboards, I needed to get that part of the room painted. Reasonably than paint your complete room without delay, I’m having to do it in sections due to the issues I’m having to work round. It’s not essentially the most environment friendly approach to work, but it surely’s tremendous. It’ll all get carried out. 🙂 However for now, I painted the realm of the ceiling that’s above this part of cupboards, after which I painted the a part of the wall that’s behind and beside this part of cupboards. I nonetheless have to return and do this little part above the door.
I typically get pleasure from portray a room, however I can inform you proper now that I’m not having fun with this one. I don’t like having to climb up and down a 10-foot ladder (I don’t like tall ladders), and I’m ultimately going to have to pull out the 12-foot ladder. I’m dreading that. However I’m getting it carried out, part by part, slowly however certainly. I’m very proud of the colours that I lastly settled on — pure white extremely flat Behr ceiling paint for the ceiling, and Benjamin Moore Traditional Grey for the partitions (blended in Behr Premium paint).
So as soon as that part of the wall and ceiling had been painted, I might get to the enjoyable half — assembling and putting in the cupboards. I made and added 3-inch toes to those cupboards identical to I did for those on the lengthy wall. (You’ll be able to learn extra about that right here.) These toes don’t should be fairly as a result of they’ll be hidden behind trim.
I haven’t really put in the cupboards but (i.e., hooked up them to the wall) as a result of the set up on these cupboards received’t be as easy as the opposite wall of cupboards. As you possibly can see, this wall would require some areas between the cupboards.
Since I’m utilizing IKEA cupboards as a substitute of constructing from scratch, I solely had particular widths to select from. I selected the sizes that will fill the house as a lot as doable, however the match wasn’t almost pretty much as good for this wall because it was for the lengthy entrance wall. I do know that I need the 2 center cupboards to be proper in opposition to one another (i.e., no house between them) and centered underneath the window.
However then that leaves areas on both facet of the cupboard within the nook. It wants an area between the left facet and the wall of no less than 1.5 inches, however then that leaves a 5-inch house on the fitting facet of the cupboard.
I had thought of framing that out and having a slot for one thing helpful, however I can’t consider any cause I’d want a 15-inch-deep, 5-inch-wide, 30-inch excessive slot in an workplace setting. If it had been a kitchen, and the cupboards had been 24 inches deep, it might be an awesome place for cookie sheets. However I can’t consider any use for this house, so I’ll most likely simply cowl it with a 5-inch-wide spacer.
However no matter I do on that facet, I’m additionally going to should do on the opposite facet as a way to preserve the entire thing symmetrical.
I’ll determine it out. It’s simply going to take some thought and planning to get it excellent.
I’m actually hoping I can get these put in after which lastly make some progress on the counter tops this weekend. Barring any unexpected circumstances, that’s the plan. We’ll see how that goes. 😀
Addicted 2 Adorning is the place I share my DIY and adorning journey as I transform and embellish the 1948 fixer higher that my husband, Matt, and I purchased in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do bodily work, so I do nearly all of the work on the home on my own. You’ll be able to be taught extra about me right here.