Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal growth gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Huge by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a superb choice for owners searching for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s some of the reasonably priced flooring choices, making it an ideal alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. ft of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nevertheless, you should purchase luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Residence Depot.
So, when you set up it your self, it may solely price you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake folks make when putting in is reducing it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an growth area — you’ll want anyplace from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the posh vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply you’ll want to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Observe the instructions precisely concerning any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment may already be hooked up.
Watch: Methods to Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris in Alabama has spent in his new residence, and he’s seeing the consequences of thermal growth. Over the previous months, he says important gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to appropriate the difficulty? If the gaps are crammed will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s superb how a lot supplies in a house develop and contract, and possibly nowhere is it extra evident than while you’re crown molding.
These gaps will normally shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round. You probably have some gaps which might be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As an alternative of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem however it gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Hearken to study the straightforward approach to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s good to do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Apart from raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the facility to choose them up. Is there a bit of kit appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should use to take away from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to include the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These could be dear, so see when you can hire one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To eradicate this downside sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If potential, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical remedies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely knowledgeable arborist ought to apply them.
Bear in mind — eradicating acorns could be time-consuming and also you would possibly must repeat it as new acorns fall. At all times put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and concentrate on bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his gasoline cooktop all of a sudden shattered the opposite day, regardless that it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be sturdy and sturdy, however it will possibly shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. A few of the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop will not be put in accurately, it will possibly put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an illustration, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it may put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to fast adjustments in temperature, akin to from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it will possibly trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Generally, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra vulnerable to shattering. If so, report it to the producer.
You may name knowledgeable to exchange the glass cooktop, however it may be costly. Take into account changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To forestall a glass cooktop from shattering, observe the following pointers:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This could trigger thermal stress and might trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and forestall warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it will possibly scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, akin to forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they’ll trigger affect injury.
- Clear the cooktop usually with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or fabric to take away any grime, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it will possibly trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- At all times observe the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Overlaying Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California rental.
“The floor is simply too exhausting, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we have now extra comfy flooring put in on high? It looks as if elimination can be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll need to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a clean, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You would possibly run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it will possibly block home equipment from opening or make them not stage along with your cupboards and counters. Test the peak of the brand new flooring to verify this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for masking terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring could be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and simple to scrub.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring could be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring will also be put in over the present tiles and is offered in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a sort of flooring that’s not hooked up to the subfloor, the sort of flooring could be put in over the terracotta tiles and could be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with knowledgeable flooring specialist to find out the best choice on your particular scenario.
Greatest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your tasks. Study extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Device — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you need to first take away any standing water. Now, you can use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s an alternative choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally known as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you possibly can squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or when you have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: Methods to Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display screen Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s greatest to cross the paint by means of a filter to display screen out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should purchase disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by means of a lot too slowly. As an alternative, use a bit of vinyl insect screening. Minimize the display screen about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the previous paint by means of the display screen. When accomplished, rinse out the display screen with a backyard hose and put it aside for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: Methods to Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display screen
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
You probably have a remark, normal query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on As we speak’s Home-owner, please fill on this type: